Recording videos with your kids
Recording videos with your kids can be fun but it can also have you asking why???
Why did I sign up for this?
Why does my child act crazy the minute the camera is on?
Why won’t they listen to my very simple instructions?
Why why why?
That’s how I felt while creating THIS video for Dove Men + Care.
The finished product came out great but my youngest put me through the ringer to get the footage needed.
I learned a few lessons while doing this and for episode 45 of the #FatherhoodIsLit podcast, I shared them with the community.
Recording is easy, it’s the talent that’s hard
Recording the whole ordeal was easy, what was hard was getting my youngest to focus on the task at hand. I had a plan, my son destroyed those plans.
The easy part of recording is having the right equipment, right lighting, and even sound. That part is easy and can be purchased but what about the talent?
That’s where things get tricky. Kids will be kids and they will serve you with the unexpected when you least expect it.
Just think about the last time you tried to record your kids while on vacation. You see them doing something cool and once the camera turns on they are either shy or start acting like lunatics. You can’t win lol.
Surviving recording videos
Whether you are recording a video for a brand like we did or for your family, there are ways to make it easier for yourself.
You don’t even have to be a big video content creator like Beleaf in Fatherhood either, he has skills. You can be someone like me that records random videos of his kids to have cool memories or even simple 15-second clips of our #uberdad sessions.
To survive recording videos with your kids you just have to do these things. No experience or fancy equipment needed.
- Have a vision but be ready to change it
- Remember they will get you frustrated
- Record in sections, breathe and reshoot
- Cut off all distractions or find a way around them
Those 4 tips came in handy after I suffered for a day recording our Dove Men + Care video and I wish I would have thought about them beforehand. The 2nd day of recording had us working for only 30 minutes compared to the day of craziness before.
Now you got the juice! Let me know your tips, hit me up on Instagram @FatherhoodIsLit
Looking For More?
- Rewarding your kids for doing right
- Fatherhood reminders from Space Jam A New Legacy
- Teaching your kids to defend themselves with Mike Roman
- Your kids are built different and that’s ok! #FatherhoodIsLit
- The #ArtOfFatherhood, Paint with Dad Minecraft Edition
- Teaching your kids to love themselves with Vernon Gibbs II
- The #ArtOfFatherhood, Paint with Dad #Pokemon Edition
- Overcoming Clubfoot and more with Christian Penn
- Surviving boring events
- Never Settling For Less with Mario Armstrong